Queensland Spotted Gum Specifications
Perfect for building & construction
Australian Eucalypt family corymbia maculata.
Spotted Gum Timber is an Australian hardwood considered perfect for building and construction.
It is in plentiful supply and made up of four different species. The trees grow sustainably along Australia’s east coast, from the northern part of Queensland all the way down to Victoria.
Physical properties and benefits
Spotted Gum is a distinctive light brown to dark chocolate hardwood with some reddish tinges. It often features a variable, wavy grain that can produce an attractive fiddle back figure. It is favoured by architects and interior designers for its back-sawn grain structure, attractive markings and rich colour palette.
Spotted Gum is exceptionally versatile, has a high level of natural durability and strength with a Janka (or hardness) rating of 11. Due to its high density, Spotted Gum Timber flooring or decking is unlikely to experience much movement and shrinkage.
Spotted Gum machines well and can be used with standard fittings and fastenings. It readily accepts paint, stains and polish and is a minimal staining timber that is less prone to bleed-through of tannins than other species. Spotted Gum will stand the test of time and when used outdoors it will resist the elements. Its strength and durability make it perfect for heavy engineering, infrastructure or structural projects.
Our Queensland Spotted Gum decking and flooring is incredibly popular. It is also widely used for railings, poles, posts, pergolas, screening and other architectural features. Heavy duty uses include industrial structural applications, including bridge, wharf and boardwalk construction, shipbuilding, lining and Spotted Gum cladding.
Features & Benefits
- Highly durable
- Rated for bushfire attack use – tested & approved for use up to BAL 29
- Kiln dried density level of 950kg/m3
- High Janka (or hardness) rating of 11
- Easily attains F27 when seasoned or F17 when unseasoned
- Available in all sectional sizes from 100 x 25mm to 300 x 50mm seasoned, and in all sizes unseasoned.
- Grown and sourced sustainably under Australian Forestry Standards.
We go the extra distance, ensuring your Spotted Gum is:
- Dried – to our own drying schedules, proven to dramatically decrease movement
- Treated – H3 to comply with Australian Standard 4706.
- Graded – to Australian Standard 2796 – 1 and 2.
- Set Length – on request, up to 6.0m and excellent random length spec of heavy 3.0-3.6m.
- Hand rails
- Wharves & boardwalks
- Other architectural features